Sunday, February 27, 2011

Banging on about Bangkok.

It's been a while (again), and yet again all manner of things have changed since I last blogged. While everything seems to remain very still in my life, looking back I realise it's constantly moving. No wonder my family and friends can't keep up with me - I can barely keep up with my plans myself. And I really do have a vested interest in knowing what they are.

The latest is that I'm in Bangkok. I've got a place (a long term, super-cheap, super-homely guesthouse) and I'm job hunting.

My plans when I came here were to:

1. Get a full time media job
2. Freelance
3. Learn Spanish
4. Get better at yoga
5. Learn ballet

Two weeks in and I have begun to accommplish some of these goals. I have a nice, solid yoga practice. I am freelancing a fair bit (needs to be more) and I have started making a crack at the Spanish (kind of. Just don't test me on it.)

Unfortunately, without the job in place, I can't really afford to carry on with or begin anything else.

I've emailed everyone in town, and there just aren't any jobs. Not any media jobs anyway.

I am coming to the horrible conclusion that I have made another mistake, and I will have to work as a teacher until I can think of another way to make things work.

I guess in the meantime, I will freelance and apply for jobs. I'm pretty disappointed in myself, though.I really thought I'd come here and things would fall into place. I think I come across as so confident about it that other people thought I'd do it too.

But I haven't. I've had people interested in freelance, and one person who mentioned that there may be a job in a while, possibly. But even that would only be part time. It's a dream job, but still - you can't hang your hopes on something that may never occur.

I'm not sure what my next move is. It has to be a quick one, though because my cash is dwindling- fast. Hmmm.

In other news, I am pretty convinced I've lost weight. The reason? Well, I've been on the ignorance diet. I'm trying to live as a vegan again, but it's really hard to explain the concept in Thai, so I've been opting for mango lunches and soya milk dinners. Aaaah - the ignorance diet. You can't beat it.

Also - what with all my lack of money, I've been doing a fair bit of travelling by foot. Hopefully, this time next month I will have that teeny tiny body that I know is under all this flab.

No comments:

Post a Comment