Tuesday, January 26, 2010

And so we begin

Good afternoon! Today I’m starting my blog. I guess I will start by mentioning what I’ve done today, and then over the next few days, I will add photos and stuff and hopefully the blog will just grow organically into something vaguely structured. That’s the plan!

Okay, so at the moment, I am working on some features that require me to do dinner reviews. Sounds awesome, right? It really is. I’m picking some of the nicest restaurants in Dubai to dine in over the course of three weeks. However, this means I am eating out every other night. And because I’m not paying for it, I am milking it for all it’s worth (this is why people hate journalists, perhaps?), so I’m having three course meals and wine. If you knew how feeble a journo’s wage is, you’d understand why I go so wild when the two magical words ‘free’ and ‘food’ come up. Anyway, to make up for the bread basket, the cocktails, the chocolate fondants and so on that tonight will bring, I started the day with a swim.

I’ve decided that getting up at 6am for a swim has three horrid moments. For some reason, acknowledging that helps me get through them. The first moment is actually hauling yourself out of bed at 6am knowing that you are about to swim 40 lengths when you would rather pull the covers over your head. This is the hardest moment. I’m not going to lie to you, it’s not easy, but I just make myself do it. It’s only bad for a few seconds. Once I’ve got past that moment, then next horrid moment is stepping outside when it is still dark. It just feels so against nature. But, knowing the sun is just peaking over the horizon and that you’ll see the sunrise over the city helps ease that one. The third bad moment is stepping into the pool wondering if it will be freezing. Thankfully, they heat the outdoor pool I use, so it’s never been cold yet, but I always still worry…

After 40 lengths, I nipped back to my flat, made a hot water, lemon and honey in a Thermos for my poorly throat and got a lift into work with my flat mate.

I’m going on a bit, so I will just quickly do a run-down of what I ate…

Breakfast: porridge with rice milk and mixed fruit and nuts

Snack: Fruit yoghurt and peach

Lunch: HUGE homemade bean and herb salad

Snack: Nut bar, two oat biscuits with peanut butter, three jelly beans and two green teas with mint (err – might have been bored-snacking)

I dread to think what dinner will involve. It’s a swanky Italian restaurant (Cavalli Club), so I anticipate lots of pasta, lots of bread and lots of chocolate. Maybe a bit of wine. Does it make it better that I am going for a 3.5km run* around the park first? Oh god. These dinner reviews will be my downfall. If only I could say no to free Italian food.


*When I say ‘run’ you should know that I always mean an incredibly slow jog. The word ‘run’ just makes me feel sporty.

No comments:

Post a Comment