Sunday, January 31, 2010

V is for Vanilla, Vapid Or Just Plain Bland.

Dinner was awful last night. If it’s free do you still have the right to moan? I got annoyed because they appeared to have lots of vegetarian meals (displaying the ‘V’ sign), but thankfully I remembered to ask if they were ‘pure vegetarian’, and they weren’t. Apparently they all had a ‘tiny bit of meat stock’. They seemed to think the fact that it was a tiny amount would mean that it didn’t matter. But whether it’s a huge great cow, or tiny bit of boiled up cow bone on my plate, it still results in a dead cow. So, I asked what else they had for veggies. Apparently only a vegetable stir fry with soy sauce. If there’s one thing I can’t stand then it’s soy sauce. So, I’m being picky at this point… but the menu clearly stated that there were about six or seven vegetarian choices.

I ended up with, erm… well, this:

[pic to be added]

It’s fried tofu with rice and coconut milk. And nothing else. It was just as dull as it looks. Not a vegetable in sight. But hey - vegetarians like eating bland food, right?
I mentally displayed my own personal brand of ‘V’ sign to them. I didn’t really, but I like a cheap gag.
So, that’s Mango Tree for you. Rubbish. Don’t go. Even my meet eating friend was very disappointed, and believe me, this man isn’t a fussy eater – especially when it comes to free food.

Anyway, this blog was never meant to be one big restaurant review. It was supposed to be about my quest for mental, spiritual and physical wellness. Mango Tree did nothing for any of this.

What did help was the swim I had this morning. Today it was hard to get up. I blame the wine and cocktail I had with dinner. My body is not used to drinking so much, and it’s wearing me out. I suppose you could suggest that I drink less, which I will do after 14th when my dinner reviews dry up. But nothing tastes as good as free food and drink feel.

The swim was a bit scary this morning, actually. It was foggy in Dubai, and the fog had settled on the water. And my lifeguard had locked himself in his office (I suspect he was having a snooze), so I was alone, and it was dark and I was swimming through fog. That’s about as much of a thrill as I can get these days. I will post some pics later whether you are interested in fog or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment