Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Post-Binge Guilts

Dinner at Cavalli Club was lovely. I pushed myself a bit harder than normal in the run before I headed over to the restaurant (nice and sweaty for dinner – excellent), but I still felt like the champagne cocktail, large glass of wine, wedges of bread dipped in oil, mozzarella salad, ricotta-stuffed ravioli and dessert trio (heaven on a plate - see pic below), may have cancelled out my thirty minute run. But hey, I’m no nutritionist.


This morning I couldn’t even pull myself out of bed for a morning swim. I opted for a little lie-in instead (I hate that sleeping until 6.30am is a lie-in for me these days) and I also shunned my usual porridge breakfast for peanut butter on toast. Even after just two drinks, I still get the urge to eat lots of lovely carbs. Although really, I love any excuse to eat lots of lovely carbs. Drunk? Mmm – a veggie burger will sort that out. Hungover? A loaf of bread will see to that. Tired? A pizza and a lie-down on the sofa will help. You get the idea…

So, as I write this, I am eating a low-sugar nut bar in preparation for my lunchtime run. I like a lunchtime run for four reasons. Firsly, because it gets me out of the office and into the sunshine. Secondly, it doesn’t interfere with my social life the way that after-work exercise can. Thirdly, I feel great afterwards. The fourth and perhaps most important reason is that it makes me feel a bit smug and saintly. I never thought I would be the type of person to do exercise at lunch… I was the last person picked for teams in PE lessons at school – you know the type.

Anyway, as I have just started this blog, I am probably going to blog like crazy for a while, then hopefully settle in to just writing one entry a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment