Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Funny Day.

This is just a quick one, because I'm off to bed.

Today, I went to a prison in Bangkok to go and meet some of the inmates. They're all in on drugs charges, which I don't have huge amounts of sympathy for, but for these guys, visitors once in a blue moon are the only chance they get to speak to anybody outside of the prison. One Nepali guy I spoke to had been in for 11 years, and still had 20 to go. A Burmese guy has been in there for years, too.He said his embassy haven't gone to see him once. It was pretty eye-opening.

In some ways the prison was better than I thought it would be. You can bring in food and magazines for the prisoners. But in other ways, it was awful. Some of them share rooms with 17 guys, apparently. And the inequality, race wise, is very clear from their stories. Westerners get thee best deal, by far.

After that, I went to the Soi Cats and Dog charity. I have offered to volunteer, and I start tomorrow. I will eventually be the web editor, but tomorrow I am just spending the day getting to know people, and playing with the animals. What could be more fun?

I was true to my diet today; I ate porridge for breakfast, nothing for lunch and just mangoes and soya milk for dinner. I wasn't hungry at all - I was too busy. I did have three fizzy drinks, though. Ooops! Never drink them at home, but in Cambodia I couldn't get enough. I hope that won't be the case here, too.

I can't ever seem to wean myself off sugar! It's either LOADS of chocolate, LOADS of mangoes or LOADS of fizzy drinks. Discovered Jack Fruit today, though - it's sweet, but not overly so.aybe it can be my healthier treat?

Okay. That's it. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment