Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bare Feet

Being barefoot is one of my favourite simple pleasures. Others include the sunshine on my skin, falling asleep on the beach and people watching. I really, really like doing all these things at once.

Walking barefoot is just lovely. It makes me feel rooted to the earth, and more mindful about where I am and what I’m doing. Not only this, but the feeling of the ground on your feet is wonderful. Wearing shoes is the equivalent to wearing gloves all the time. It dulls the senses and puts a physical barrier between you and what you are doing.

The feet have so many nerve endings that walking along soft sand, or dewy grass or (my favourite) smooth cobbles are really sensual experiences. It really makes me happy. I remember the first time I realised how incredible it was, I was in Corfu walking over some really smooth cobbles of a fort. Since then, I try and go barefoot as often as possible.




I never wear my shoes at work unless I am going into the toilets (as well as being more comfortable, it means I can sit in half lotus at my desk), and I love to take them off when I go for a walk. In fact, I often leave the house for work and then have to come back because I have forgotten my shoes.

If you haven’t already, you should try it. You just have to be a bit more mindful of where you put your feet. Going barefoot also makes you more aware of the rubbish people put on the ground. It makes me so angry to see broken bottles on the beach, or chewing gum on the pavements.

Go bare foot today, wherever you live. Even the pavement and wet mud feel great on your sensory-starved feet.

2 comments:

  1. Hanu, I am with you completely about barefoot on sand - The Maldives is all about the barefoot experience. The UK in the cold and wet- not so much fun - but I will try and do barefoot more , x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the very rooting reminder. It is so true! I am happiest when I am connected to the earth, whether it be through walking barefoot on the beach, or simply being out in nature. I live on the water and eight months a year my favorite occupation is to get out in my kayak and paddle to a quiet place where I can absorb all the sights, smells, sounds and revel in the beauty of the earth. This kind of activity is the most centering, calming and rejuvenating occupation I can think of. And the calmer, more centered I am, the less struggle I have with food. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete