Thursday, February 25, 2010

Why Weights?

Oh god. Weights are dreadful, aren't they? I dread the gym much, much more than I do outside work outs. I NEVER go on treadmills because I feel like a hamster, so I only go to do weights. I have weights at home, but I hate using them there too, so I guess it's not exclusive to gyms, this feeling of loathing I have for them. But I do still hate gyms.


Reps. Even the word is boring. Repetitions = monotonous.


But,it's something I need to do. I have weedy arms,and I can see that the strength training helps my yoga. And it's the only thing I do that gives me that satisfying ache the next day. I like it when my lower back and my shoulders ache so much that it makes breathing harder... so it hurts to laugh. THENI know I have done a really hardcore workout. Kickboxing is great for this, but unfortunately it is on the same days and time as my yoga, and yoga comes first, so unfortunately I have to do weights as a substitute. Yuck.


Is there a way to trick your brain into thinking it's fun? I'd love to know. All that clanking of metal, rooms full of butch men lifting weights too big for them, machine whirring and eyeing up from both sexes makes me very sad. Surely there must be a better way? It feels like this doesn't fit in with my holistic fitness ideals. Or maybe I am just making excuses not to go to the gym?

No comments:

Post a Comment