Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Onwards and Upwards

Yesterday Hanu (my zen alter ego – see ‘Who Is Hanu?’ post) deserted me completely. I finished work to catch a bus home, and after waiting twenty minutes for my bus, it arrived and promptly drove straight past me. I wasn’t amused to say the least. The bus driver knew it, all the cars driving past knew it, the men waiting in the bus shelter knew it (and averted their eyes to my stomping and yelling) and the bus call centre certainly knew it when I rang up to complain. Why did it bother me so much to miss my bus? Well, lateness on the way home seems to be a bit of a stress trigger for me. I suppose that since, with travel, I’m out of the house from at least 6.30am to 7pm (and have to be in bed by 10.30 – 11pm) then every minute of my own time is precious. I felt like the bus driver had ruined my evening. It was irrational and I hope it doesn’t happen again, but in an effort to not so much excuse my tantrum as explain it, I will say that I haven’t lost my temper for months (which – if you had seen me a year ago is a miracle), and I am influenced by my PMT at the moment.

When I got home, I went to my vinyasa yoga class, which was great. My sides are still nicely aching today. They feel pretty solid too, so I know I must have done some good. I certainly felt quite peaceful again afterwards. I’ve signed up to have private sessions now.

Today I went for my 40 lengths swim in the morning and attempted my first fartlek run. I know this will improve my fitness (because it was REALLY hard), but I was hoping it would improve my 23 minute best time (it’s a 3.5km run), too. However, because I was sprinting some of the track, I had to power walk a bit instead of jogging the entire way round, as I usually do. It was very tiring. I feel like I did the best I could, but at the end I found that my time was… 23 minutes. EXACTLY 23 minutes to the second. Typical. What a joke. Tomorrow I will bust a gut to step it up a bit. I want to get it to a reasonably respectable 20 minutes.

Tonight I have another dinner review. It’s Thai food at Thiptera in The Palace. It should be quite swanky.

My main excitement today though is that I am going to move to South Korea. The more I think about it, the more right it feels. Also, I’ve started to realise the ex thing would never happen. The fact that we will live across the other side of the world from each other was a hint. I’m a bit slow on the uptake, but now that I am excited about life away from Dubai, I see that I really need to be on my own now. It’s nice to have mentally moved on a bit. Today I feel at peace with my decisions. More than at peace – REALLY excited about changing everything in my life again. I think it’s what I will always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment