Monday, February 8, 2010

Starting From Scratch

Last night was a wake-up call. My yoga teacher told me on Saturday that I hyper extend my arms, which means I don’t hold my weight properly in some yoga asanas. Instead, I just lock my arms or legs out and let the joints take it. It’s not good and could explain why my arms are still so pathetically weedy after months of intense practice. So, last night I added a microbend to my arms and legs. Wow. That made things pretty difficult. In fact, it was really hard. Especially this pose (which is super easy if you lock your arms and super hard if you don’t)….




It felt like a bit of a set back when I felt like I was doing so well in yoga. I suppose that it’s the same with anything – you think you’re mastering something and then you find out that there is so much more to master than you first realised. I guess I am getting somewhere, but there is still a long way to go before I can consider signing up for teacher training.

On the plus side, I woke up today a lot lighter. I’m nearly at the weight I was at before the dinner reviews, so I guess it must have just been a bit of water retention. Too much info? Anyway, I feel less of a hippo today and more like a woman.

This morning I had a swim – 40 lengths in my pool, and at lunch I am planning a run, then I was considering a bit of beach yoga tonight. I did some the other day for a laugh when I was with my ex on the beach the other night. I was dressed for dinner, so it wasn’t ideal for a spot of ashtanga (getting into lotus in skinny jeans is impossible), but it was lovely. So, I think tonight I will take my yoga mat to the beach for a bit of a session. It sounds nice, doesn’t it?




I am reading a book about Tibet at the moment. So far, it’s lovely.



I reserve complete judgement until the end because, for instance, I liked Eat Pray Love when I first started reading it. At the end I felt the polar opposite of zen. If you haven’t read it, don’t.





2 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    I stumbled upon your blog this morning and just wanted to say hi :) I'm def interested to continue reading your blog!

    Tiff
    www.project365th.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Tiff. That's really nice to hear. I like knowing that people are actually reading it!

    ReplyDelete